Friday 25 March 2011

4th March 2011 3:2:15

Chances are this may or may not be the only post for Choose My Music today.

After being given 8 weeks redundancy notice at work yesterday I am obviously not 100%behind getting anything constructive done. My plan for this site was to try and do one post per week but this is already my 3rd with a couple of days spare.

Anyway, 3:2:15 was picked by Adele Mitchell. A lady who, judging by her tweets, has the perfect twitter combination of loving good music and supporting a great
football team...she was bound to pick a cracker.

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots



As with most people The Flaming Lips came into my life during the release of their previous album The Soft Bulletin which many would point to as their first real critical and commercial success - but it was Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots which really broke them in the UK and was also the album which truly made me a fan.

I can honestly say that on its release in 2002 I had never heard anything like it, and outside of the Flaming Lips I have heard nothing that matches it since.

An unusual concoction of acoustic and digital musical instruments fills a landscape which holds so much depth the album since been released in digital 5.1 surround sound.

The LP is likely to be recognised by the more popular tracks such as Flight Test, Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt.1 and Do You Realize?? which all stand out as songs in their own right. But they also fit nicely into the whole body of work - blending in to the album and creating a fantastic opera for the modern age.

If you don't own this album then you should buy it....if you already have it then why not listen to it today..and if you do...why not try and find the secret message in somewhere within the CD packaging.

I finally got to see The Flaming Lips live in 2009 in Birmingham and it was by far one of the greatest gigs I have ever seen. Glorious us every aspect...I have never seen a band that treats their shows like one big party.
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc1syUFmGwU&feature=related]

While doing some background fact checking, I also found out a rather brilliant hip hop album was released called Yoshimi Battles The Hip Hop Robots - so that's something for me to check out while I wait for the offers of a new job to come rolling in.

No comments:

Post a Comment