Sunday 10 April 2011

Masterpieces - My Seletions - Day 4 & 5

Following on from my previous article (here) this is part two of my Masterpieces selections.

DAY 4 - Pela - Anytown Graffiti


As far as I am aware Pela was my first internet music discovery which was made through a slightly dodgy Pandora account (thanks to the use of a made up US zip code). At the time this album had not even been recorded.

I am never quite sure how to describe Pela. I guess if you imagined what would happen if Doves were from New York and U2 didn't go up their own arses then you might be about there.

Again this is a an album which has literally lived in my car since I bought it and I everyone I have ever played it too has appeared to enjoy it - so it had to be included.

Sadly, for various reasons a 2nd album was never recorded and the band parted ways but like all good stories it does have a happy ending. Billy (vocals) and Eric (Bass / multi instrumentalist) have since commenced on a new band called We Are Augustines (link here) and to say they are absolutely fantastic is understatement of the year. I have had the great pleasure of seeing them live twice this year during a brief tour of the UK and they will be back here in June so keep your eyes and ears open for them.

There are no Pela tracks available on Mflow - so I hope they don't mind me putting some music on Soundcloud to share the wonderfulness of this hugely underrated release.
03 Drop Me Off by dominikrpaczko
04 The Trouble with River Cities by dominikrpaczko

DAY 5 - Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030


When I commented that this is the collaboration which kick started Gorrilaz, I was informed that this album has a lot to answer for.
To be fair, I understand this is where Damon Albarn made links to people who would eventually be part of Gorrilaz - such as Del The Funkee Homosapien and producer Dan the Automator. That is as far as any comparisons go
 I first heard this CD while I was working in Tower Records in Birmingham and at the time I was quite a big Kid Koala fan (who also appears, along with Albarn and Sean Lennon among others) so it was quite an easy purchase to make.
 Essentially this is a concept album based in the year 3030 and it follows Deltron Zero (Del the Funkee Homosapien) fight against the huge corporations who have taken over the universe.
This is perhaps one of my favourite hip hop albums ever made, which I know is a big claim - but it clearly is hugely underrated and one that always requires being listened to from start to finish.

All thee main artists involved in this album have, over the past 3 or 4 years, indicated that a follow up album is due (entitled Deltron: Event II). This is going to be a hugely anticipated release for me.




And that concludes my Masterpiece sections. Comments are of course most welcome, and please share this where you can.

If you would like to get involved and choose your 5 albums then please visit the Masterpieces site here


No comments:

Post a Comment